Design an Effective Board Selection Process
When it’s time to add a new board member, many companies rely on “who they know,” whether or not the candidate is the best fit for the board seat. A well-governed board should include a selection process that evaluates each candidate across a range of skills and attributes.
DHR’s Board and CEO practice helps leading companies identify the board competencies unique to them, identify tools to assess new potential board members and build a pipeline of qualified leaders to fill future positions.
Our board competency program is a structured and professional process to evaluate each new board director and considers:
- Alignment of skills with strategic direction
- Value added to the current board composition
- Cultural fit with the current board
- Time it will take to be an effective contributor
- Board succession plan
- Business acumen and strategic insight
- Core industry or adjacent markets’ expertise
- Geographic expertise and cultural fluency (focused on your major markets and channels)
- Technical skills